Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have questions about your upcoming fly fishing trip with Vail Valley Anglers? We want you to have the best overall experience possible when you fish with our guides, so we’ve collected some of the most frequently asked questions we get from our customers and answered them here. Of course you can always feel free to call us if you have additional questions!

Where do we go for our fly fishing trip?

We fish several rivers within an hour of our fly shop in Edwards, CO depending on where the fishing is best and what our clients prefer.

We mainly fish on the Eagle River, Colorado River, Roaring Fork River, Gore Creek, some private ranches, and many nearby small creeks.

What should I bring on my fly fishing trip?

Everyone should always bring a camera, hat, sunglasses, and rain gear. During cold weather please dress appropriately with layered clothing.

Do you provide waders, boots, fly rods, etc.?

Yes, all gear is provided including waders, boots, and fly rods.

Do I tip my guide? How much should I tip?

Tipping is very much appreciated. Twenty percent of the trip price is a standard gratuity.

Are flies included?

Starting in January of 2018 we will be including all flies on every trip we offer.

How many fish am I going to catch on my fly fishing trip?

Catching fish is never guaranteed. The number of fish landed varies with conditions and angler ability. Our professional fly fishing guides do their best to put you on as many trout as possible on every trip.

I’m a beginner—is that okay?

We guide anglers of every ability and age level. Beginners are welcome! All of our guides are adept at teaching novices how to fly fish.

Are there any age restrictions for your fly fishing trips and classes?

There are no specific age restrictions. Every child is an individual case. Most kids are ready to learn between 8 and 10 years old.

Do I need a fishing license? Where do I get a fishing license?

Everyone age 16 and older is required to have a fishing license. One day, five day, and annual licenses are available at our fly shop or online. You are required to show a Government Issued Photo ID like a drivers license to purchase a fishing license. You must also provide your Social Security Number. This is a State of Colorado requirement. No exceptions.

What is the difference between float trips and wade trips?

Float trips involve fishing from a drift boat or raft and offer access to miles of water unreachable by wade fishermen. Wade trips give anglers the time to thoroughly work the water at a relaxing pace. Both can be enjoyed by beginners or experts.

Why and when should I book private water?

Private water ranches offer solitude and unpressured trout. In some cases, larger than average trout are available. Competition with other anglers is never a problem.

What months are the best months for fly fishing?

We fish every month of the year and the fishing can be great all year long. Fantastic dry fly fishing is found June through September. Autumn offers fall foliage, good fishing, and uncrowded rivers. Late winter through spring is a favorite season for spring break ski vacationers and is a sleeper secret for great fishing.

Have Additional Fly Fishing FAQs?

If you can’t find an answer to the question you have about our fly fishing trips, give us a call! We have 25 years of experience fly fishing in the Vail, Colorado area and pride ourselves on providing a good customer experience no matter the fishing conditions.